Tuesday, November 9, 2010

SmartNotebook Lesson Review

I have used Smart Notebook Lessons before as add-ons to lessons I am teaching in class, although I have never used one as a full period lesson plan. I intend to use the Jeopardy reviews as they are useful and the kids really like them. The only issue is that you have to have Senteo (or the Smart Response System) and I don't have those. So a lot of the lessons I might want to use were unavailable to me.
I ended up reviewing a lesson called You Are What You Eat! created by Kathy Gann of the Wilbur Middle School. I thought the lesson was set up very well. The first slide has the introduction to the lesson with some basic information, but I liked the second slide, which covers all the standards addressed and the curriculum connections.
The lesson itself covers many different formats to reach different learners, and to keep the lesson fresh and interesting. Many of the slides contained interactive activities that were fun (I enjoyed them) if not a little simplistic. I liked the slide that allows a student to create a healthy looking breakfast by choosing the correct items for the plate and throwing out the "bad" items in the trash can. Students can relate to the activity, and they can have fun interacting with it.
With this thought in mind, I have to comment on Jeff Han's presentation about the new type of interactive software for tools like Smartboard. I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw it. One of the biggest problems I have with the Smartboard is that only one person can interact at a time. That makes certain activities sort of endless and boring. With this type of interactive software, a group of students could create a healthy breakfast plate instead of just one kid at a time going up to the board and interacting while the other students get bored and impatient in their seats.
I may use this lesson as a review for my students about the food pyramid and different food types before we start the chemical structure of macromolecules.

No comments:

Post a Comment