Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Social Networking and Students

In perusing educational blogs, I came across this one (more of a blurb than a blog) about social networking and students. NYC Educator blogs about friending your students on facebook which I think is so completely inappropriate I don't even know how to respond. It seems more prevalent at the high school level where students may be more mature, and maybe teachers have a harder time distinguishing the teacher/student relationship from the relationship with an intellectually blossoming senior student. While I don't think there is any situation that should condone inviting a student into a teacher's social network, I also don't think teachers should be wrongly accused by students, and then have to pay for these accusations. Even when they turn out not to be true, the teacher's career is generally ruined.
In a nutshell, be clear about maintining your private social life as your own personal information. Do not share personal sites with students. Keep any use of social networking for educational purposes strictly outlined and user protected. As the blogger at NYC Educator says..."I don't friend students on Facebook, and I'd advise you not to do so either.  Simply having done that could potentially bolster a false claim against you". Don't put yourself in the position of having to defend your actions.

1 comment:

  1. Very true words. Certainly, I have seen this go badly. I would extend the "Friending Boundary" to include parents from the district where you teach. Why would you invite that kind of trouble?

    Depending on the culture of your school, and the content of your Facebook, you might want to exclude colleagues, too.

    ReplyDelete